Sunday, September 21, 2014

Just Busy

I don't really know where to begin. We have been running ourselves ragged lately. It takes us a long time to get through all our school work each day and then we run off to Scouts, Soccer, Young Women's activities or Primary Meetings.  We fall into bed each night way later than should be heading to bed and then get up the next morning to do it all over again. Life has always seemed to be in fast forward but lately it is almost rediculusly speedy. We are rushing here and there and trying to get this and that done.  Community band started up again this past week and I really want to play but I just can't bring myself to add one more item into our schedule. It will have to wait until at least soccer is over the season. I just can't juggle it all.

 I ended up somehow being made the assistant couch for Henry team. It is fun to get to know the kids but honestly I don't know anything about soccer. The couch, who happens to be a friend of mine and a lady I work with in Primary, needed someone the first day to help run drills so I jumped up from my camp chair on the sidelines to help. I now at least know the rules of soccer, more or less.  This being Henry's first year playing he isn't every skilled but he makes up for it in desire. He loves to run and is quick. He just needs to work on his kicking and passing. See... I am starting to get the hang of coaching! No... mostly I just hang out and help when I can and during games keep track of the kids who have subbed in and out.

Being the Primary president of our ward has really been one of the most time consuming things I have on my plate right now. There is endless meetings! I have 150 active kids each week and about 30 teachers... oh wait... I forgot nursery... make that about 36 teachers. Plus cub scouts and activity days to make sure are staffed and happening and at the moment we also have the primary program, but that is next Sunday so I can strike that off our list of projects to get done.  I know I have help getting all this done, 2 councilors and 2 secretaries, but I get consulted on almost everything and am expected to know everything that is going on everywhere.  My kids seem to think I am either constantly on the phone or headed to another meeting.

Oh and I am homeschooling too. This is really where my focus should be and usually is.  Our whole family life revolves around learning. Learning about the Civil War, Latin Grammer, Physics and what ever else comes up.

Molly has math, reading, and piano everyday. It is my goal to also read her at least three picture books as well.  This doesn't happen nearly often enough. Poor girl!

Sophie is doing her Williamsburg and I am really taking a minimal role in making sure she gets her work done. I do occationally help her with an assignment and sometimes have to remind her to get back on task when I find her lollygagging  but mostly she is on her own and seems to be doing pretty well staying on top of her assignments each week.

Ian is taking some online classes as well and that is keeping him busy. I consider these classes as a warm up to him joining the Willimsburg Intermediate classes next year. He seems excited! I do have to prod him along to get his work done but so far so good.

Henry decided to take an online art class and he loves that. I don't know if he just loves the fact that he has a class or if he really likes art but he is happy and the boys love the class. It is Henry's class but Ian always sits in and listens.

 We did make it up to Grandma's house last weekend. There were all sorts of cousins there to play with and mostly swim with.
 I know this isn't a flattering picture but  I had to post it.  Grandma jumped off the board. That is a moment to record!

So even with our busy lives we do find some time to enjoy life. I just wish there was a bit more leasure time.  I work really hard to squeeze in reading time. Novels of course. It is what keeps me sain. Those precious moments where I get to jump into another time and place are something I can't live without. 


I really shouldn't complain. It is a good life full of good things. I just don't have as much time, inclination or desire to post much here on the blog. I don't even take many pictures anymore.


1 comment:

Cellista said...

Oh my word, 150 kids and 36 teachers!!!! I'm a counselor in Primary in our ward, but we have 8 teachers total and 17 kids at most that come regularly. During the summer, I think the weekly average was about 9. I don't know that I could do Primary with numbers like your ward. No wonder you're busy!!

I hear you on reading to the youngest. Erik kind of gets lost in the shuffle more often than I care to think about. He picks up a lot listening to his brothers, but I feel bad that I don't spend more time with him. I'm feeling rather ragged myself lately!